Monday, July 2, 2012

Growing Excitement

I have felt nervous off and on about being a counselor but God keeps showing me His truths and opening my eyes to their meaning that it has helped calm my fears. I know that He will always be guiding me every step of the way. "Your testimonies are my delight; they are my counselors." Psalm 119:24

I was reading my book "Ready to Restore" by Jay Adams yesterday and had a feeling of excitement. I was reading chapter 7 about 25 biblical counseling principles. In number 5 "Collect all relevant data," he was talking about giving homework based on data that has been gathered and stated "Assignments should be given at the first session to demonstrate that faith must lead to works, that some change is always possible and in order to develop the expectation of change from the start." I realized at that moment in greater depth when I saw the word faith that I will be able to share the most important thing to every person I counsel: God's truth. That He can change them, guide them, and comfort them. It is not the kind of job where I have to keep that to my self. I am free to share God's truth and to expound upon it.

My favorite conversations are the ones that always have God in them some way or another. I feel truly happy and content when I am conversing with someone about Him and His all sufficient word.

It is hard to do that with those of this world. "The natural person does not accept the things of the Spirit of God, for they are folly to him, and he is not able to understand them because they are spiritually discerned."
1 Corinthians 2:14

After I am finished with this book I will move on to another book, not sure which one yet. I realized I needed to stop being lazy and just start reading (with lots of underlining and note taking). Books like these are so much more fulfilling and spiritually rewarding. I do enjoy reading fiction but they do not benefit me. I need to grow spiritually stronger so I will be able to help others in their time of need. I must discipline myself and study because the longer I take, the further away I push the time to be certified and thus no benefit to those in need.

I have 28 counseling questions and 26 theology questions to answer in essay form, in a clear and understandable way as if explaining them to a counselee. Can't answer them if I don't know the answers. I must kiss laziness goodbye and say hello to self-discipline. "Go to the ant, O sluggard; consider her ways, and be wise." Proverbs 6:6



My key verse for motivation:
"Do your best to present yourself to God as one approved, a worker who has no need to be ashamed, rightly handling the word of truth." 2 Timothy 2:15

No comments:

Post a Comment