Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Something New


     John and I met almost 3 years ago through a mutual friend at church (someone he grew up with). She and another friend were attending our church and had invited him to visit. At the time, neither of us paid much attention to the other; besides he was coming irregularly, still attending his former church. Early last year, he started attending Killeen Bible Church full time and became a member.
    For the longest time I could not remember his name, easy as it is. He was simply referred to as “Marissa’s friend.” But, last summer, our friendship started to grow, I remembered his name, and we talked with each other at church and Saturday Bible study hosted by some friends. I really started to notice the strong relationship he had with the Lord and his desire to continue growing spiritually.
     In late September, while I was at work, John asked my parents for their permission to get to know me better, working toward a closer friendship, to which they said yes.
     We have spent a great deal of time doing just that. We are currently going through John MacArthur’s Fundamentals of the Faith. Very excellent study and we are enjoying the time spent doing it together. We are reading Dave Harvey’s When Sinners Say “I Do”. We love this book and highly recommend it to anyone already married or planning to get married. In the evenings we are doing a devotional by Jerry Bridges, Holiness Day by Day. We do our devotion over the phone after I get home from work and together in person on my days off. Growing together spiritually has been a wonderful experience that we have greatly cherished.

No comments:

Post a Comment